[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] ||

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Thu Feb 5 09:04:27 UTC 2015

> On 04 Feb 2015, at 22:04, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>
> A single parser is a nice goal, but performance is top priority for Shout, because it should do it's job real-time. When it starts lagging behind, then people just turn it off, because it doesn't help them.
> Can those parsers (SHRBTextStyler and a Smalltalk parser written using PetitParser) parse an average method in less than 20ms on an average machine?

I have not yet benchmarked it… PetitParser as it is is too slow, but we will soon have a faster version (factor 10).

We should do some benchmarks. For using, it seems ok. With a fast machine + JIT, which does not say much of course.
(there is a setting 'AST based coloring’ in Pharo3 and Pharo4, but it is turned off by default).

One thing that is nice with the AST is that it can be used for other things, too. e.g. in Pharo we have a menu that is defined
by the AST nodes and structural navigation in the editor.

	Marcus