[squeak-dev] Re: Is there a preference setting to block automatic parentheses?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 20:52:28 UTC 2015

> Morphic-cmm.760 still ignores what the user typed. It *explicitly* ignores it. If I have "bar)))))" and want to type another ")" after the "r", it does not let me. And that's not Right™ :)

Anytime you have multiple consecutive closers of the same type, it
doesn't matter whether you add it to the front or the end.  Just keep
typing ) until you get there and it'll start adding.

Bert, the way this went down was:  1) you complained with only
emotion, 2) I asked for concrete clarification, 3) you clarified, 4) I
went and (tried to) fix to your specification, 5) you complain about a
new (non)problem.

I'm trying to help here, but what is not helpful is to block any and
all progress with these complaints about how these non-real-world
use-cases aren't solved, and then to top it off, offering no guidance
about what it SHOULD do.

It's clear this is more about you wanting to complicate the
implementation with a stack.  If you have time for that go for it.  I
won't do it because when I analyze the use-cases, it's clear that
implementation is way overkill.  Not worth the effort nor the extra
complexity.

Just be sure to please start it out in the Inbox first so I can offer
my own critique..