[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Kernel-ul.906.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Feb 27 01:28:49 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 09:03:07PM +0000, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
> Levente Uzonyi uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-ul.906.mcz

> Name: Kernel-ul.906
> Author: ul
> Time: 26 February 2015, 9:22:02.722 pm
> UUID: 9fd0ffbc-c774-442a-baa5-5b0e13950856
> Ancestors: Kernel-topa.905
>
> Added an implementation of a 30-bit Mersenne Twister (p=521) to Random. All existing Random instances are migrated to the new implementation.

I love seeing things like this entering the image.

I remember someone long ago (maybe it was Andreas or Dan?) describing Squeak
as a "computer science degree in a box". These updates to Random are a very
nice example, with clear comments to explain the complicated bits, and a class
comment to give an overview with references to the source of the algorithm.

Cool.

Some updates to RandomTest may be also needed to match the new implementation.

Dave