[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.534.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 20:34:45 UTC 2015

> What would developers want to bother sorting method categories on their own?

The desire to auto-sort them is understandable when thinking about
Squeak as an eclipse-style IDE for teams of Developers.

But there is another way to think about Squeak:  as a system for
presenting naked-objects applications to Users.  The goal of Maui is
to expose as much of a Smalltalk code-model as possible, as an
"application" to a User actor.

It generates a default panel for any object suitable for a User actor
to interact with its behaviors.  The "tabs" of this default panel are
simply the message categories in the order of their Organization in
the system.

So being able to see and customize that order affords the Developer
actor another channel, right within her own IDE, for customizing the
default panel UI.

I hope you are convinced there are use-cases for both sorting and not
sorting.  I don't think we can get away without a preference.