[squeak-dev] Understanding Object Structures

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 18:41:55 UTC 2015

> I presume that for someone approaching the system given only a textual description of object structures, through class comments and method source it is difficult to develop a good picture or mental model.  For me, I read the blue book first, which is replete with pictures.

I like to envision the physical model in my mind.  I look at the class
definitions to identify the object links (for pointer objects) and
then the methods which modifies those vars.

Once I have that picture of the physical model in my head, I then in
my mind think about that shape model with each node "suited up" with
its behaviors.  Knowing their underlying links to other objects even
helps me evaluate the consistency and nuance of the API).

> I know that historically visual inspector frameworks such as Jun have been able to auto-generate pictorial representations of specific object graphs.  I wonder how useful it would be to provide support for designers to include pictorial representations in class comments.

For years, I have been /totally/ interested in Alexandre's project,
not just to represent in-memory models but large Magma models,
visually.  Roassal might struggle to perform with millions of nodes, I
don't know, but I know Craig used Walrus to render a large model.
Unfortunately I just haven't had the time to dig into these projects..

> Again I presume that the text model would have to support inclusion of simple bitmaps (to avoid having to include a full drawing framework in the system) and that the designer would construct a sample graph, generate a diagram using a visual inspector framework using eg Jun, render it to a bitmap and include it in the class comment.

Squeak's Text model actually supports the inclusion of any Morph
embedded as a single character.  Maui uses that for its "documents" it
actually works very well.  Seeing animated, fully-functioning Morphs
as characters in a document is kind'a cool.