[squeak-dev] Context status 2015-01-16

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri Jan 16 20:01:48 UTC 2015

Hoi all--

     Context[1] is the umbrella project for Naiad (a distributed module
system for all Smalltalks[2]), Spoon (a minimal object memory that
provides the starting point for Naiad), and Lightning (a
remote-messaging framework which performs live serialization, used by
Naiad for moving methods and other objects between systems). I intend
for it to be a future release of Squeak, and a launcher and module
system for all the other Smalltalks. I'm writing Context apps for cloud
computing, web services, and distributed computation.

     Commits b7676ba2cc and later of the Context git repo[3] have:

-    Support for installable object memories as git submodule repos.

-    Submodule repos for memories for each of the known Smalltalk
     dialects, with Naiad support pre-loaded. I'm currently working on
     the submodules for Squeak[4] and Pharo[5].

-    A web-browser-based console for launching and managing object
     memories.

-    A WebDAV-based virtual filesystem that enables Smalltalk to appear
     as a network-attached storage device, and mappings of the system
     to that filesystem that make Smalltalk accessible from external
     text editors (e.g., for editing code, managing processes and
     object memories).

-    Remote code and process browsers.

     Live discussion at [6]. Mailing list at [7]. The newsgroup is
gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.context.

     Thanks for checking it out!

-C

[1] http://thiscontext.com
[2] http://thiscontext.com/a-detailed-naiad-description