[squeak-dev] Context status 2015-01-16

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jan 17 01:24:12 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 09:01:48PM +0100, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hoi all--
>
>      Context[1] is the umbrella project for Naiad (a distributed module
> system for all Smalltalks[2]), Spoon (a minimal object memory that
> provides the starting point for Naiad), and Lightning (a
> remote-messaging framework which performs live serialization, used by
> Naiad for moving methods and other objects between systems). I intend
> for it to be a future release of Squeak, and a launcher and module
> system for all the other Smalltalks. I'm writing Context apps for cloud
> computing, web services, and distributed computation.

Hi Craig,

I'm not fully up to speed on a lot of this, but I have to ask - Is it
possible to get a Spoon memory with Context running under SqueakJS? I
mean not just in theory, but can this actually be done in practice, such
that it can be demonstrated on the little-known but otherwise amazing
run.squeak.org?

I'm not sure that I have fully wrapped my head around the possibilities
here, but the idea of incrementally growing an image from a tiny Spur
memory using SqueakJS in a modern web browser seems like it might have
some potential.

If it is possible, then what needs to be done to make it happen? More
funding? More beer?

Dave