[squeak-dev] re: Context status 2015-01-16

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Mon Jan 19 14:41:19 UTC 2015

     Okay, I'll add both of the execution-driven imprinters to the
repository. They're called "active" and "passive" imprinting.

     Active imprinting is directed by the system that initially has the
desired code. An ActiveImprintingServer has clients in the systems which
will receive the code. Every time the server system runs a method in a
certain process, it imprints that method onto each of the clients. One
use case for this is giving the code of a demo to an audience as you run it.

     Passive imprinting is directed by the system that wants the code.
The target system makes a remote-messaging connection to a system which
has the code, and runs an expression which will use the code. Every time
a method is missing from the target system (in any process), the target
system requests the missing method from the provider system, installs
it, and retries running that method.

     I have imprinted the exception-handling system, the compiler, and
the class builder with both approaches.

     thanks,

-C

--