[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Environments-topa.56.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 18:49:53 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 22.01.2015, at 18:32, Nicolas Cellier <
> nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 22 January 2015 at 08:25, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> Trunk:

> globals.

> > > Refactoring-Core is using this API.
> >
> > Obviously making the rest of the world move to the Environments API is
> > the _right_ thing to do, if it's manipulating environmental stuff, but
> > in the meantime, +1 to this addition :)
> >
> > frank
> >

> > We can use the #deprecated: in the meantime so as to not forget
> > - that we should change senders
> > - that we should not use this API in new code
>
> I'm unsure.
> I _really_ like the idea of treating a namespace as a dictionary.

To be pedantic, +0.5.  I like being able to use the read-only part of the
Dictionary protocol on Environments.  It is the destructive update-in-place
part at:put: et al that shouldn't be supported.  Modification is something
that Environment needs to control carefgully to maintain system integrity.

But this is just gut feeling.

--
best,
Eliot