[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-mt.697.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 03:43:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 7:15 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 04:14:24PM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> > On Jan 27, 2015, at 4:00 PM, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com>
> wrote:

> Levente says
> but not
> for it
> > >
> > > I did spend some time last year trying to get the primitives working in
> > > trunk Interpreter, but I was a bit out of my depth and did not get it
> right.
> >
> > Since the code is in the Cog Interpreter the right way to do this IMO us
> > to port bug fixes to primitives etc into the Cog Interpreter and call the
> > Cog VMMaker trunk.  Going the other way takes longer to get to the same
> place.
> >

> Hi Eliot,
>
> Was Andreas' profiler fully functional on an Interpreter generated from
> oscog
> at one point? I know that Andreas had done at least an initial
> implementation
> in that part of the code. I had assumed that his main focus in that time
> frame
> would have been on Cog, so I was not entirely sure if the Interpreter
> implementation was complete.

When I joined Qwaq, Andreas' fork of VMMaker and svn trunk was the VM in
use.  The Interpreter contained all of the support for  Andreas' profiler.
That VMMaker was my starting point for Cog and I simply supported in the
Stack and Cog VMs what was in the Interpreter.

There was much else in there too; support for a high-priority
media=-processing thread which was used for Qwaq's voice channel;
extensions to the host window plugin etc, etc.  This had to continue
working as the VM was sped-up using first the Stack VM and then Cog.  I
guess the Qwaq VM forked from trunk in about 2005.

--
best,
Eliot