[squeak-dev] final final Squeak-4.6-All-in-One posted

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 01:02:16 UTC 2015

The look and preferences of 4.6 were set up by Marcel and (I think)
others at HPI.  Marcel made tremendous contributions to the IDE of 4.6
and so it makes sense to let him finish his vision of what the release
IDE should look and feel like.  As a whole, Squeak is a successful
example of design by committee, but an IDE's look and feel, like a
piece of art, can benefit from being designed by a few or single mind
due to the more cohesive vision of all the components.

I certainly won't be running with gray windows -- it provides way too
little delineation of background windows, leaving me with only the
window position and its symbology (letters) for identification.

However, I can appreciate the initial "look" that the image opens
with.  Like a classic movie, the black and white harkens back to
original Smalltalk-80, but that modern drop-shadow subtlely indicating
something more.  Kinda pretty..