[squeak-dev] Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Jul 23 17:18:50 UTC 2015

On 23-07-2015, at 8:55 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> I managed to successfully incorporate the ARM platform into the 5.0
> All-In-One -- so Squeak 5 will now start up with one-click on FOUR
> platforms, OOTB..!!

Excellent - one tiny change needs to be made to let it work on a Pi2 though; the shell script test for ARMv6l, which is correct for PiA+, B * B+ but the Pi2 is ARMv7. With that changed it fired up on my pi2 ok.

> - Look at the image size, its DOUBLE the size of the 4.6 image.  Why?

Space analysis on my Pi2 shows a lot of MC* objects, which as we’ve seen before seem to hold onto a lot of the 4Mb of String and quite a few arrays, symbols etc listed.

Oh, and I noticed in the Contents/Resources directory that there seems to be a spare _test.[image|changes] pair. Presumably not actually wanted?

tim
EBCDIC: Erase, Back up, Chew Disk, Ignite Card