[squeak-dev] Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jul 24 00:34:15 UTC 2015

On 23-07-2015, at 2:54 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 23-07-2015, at 2:43 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>
>> I think it's related to the segmented memory model of Spur, which uses more memmory than the the compact model of pre-Spur Squeak.
> Highly unlikely  to make for a 16Mb -> 35Mb jump.

If you run the Space Analysis within the ‘About Squeak’ applet, it claims that the image has 300,000 objects taking up 25Mb . So somewhere there is 9Mb ‘wasted’ in some fashion. Since the tally code finds object sizes via a primitive that takes into account header sizes it should be adding up ok.
There *is* code that avoids writing free space in each of the segments when snapshotting, as well as doing a garbage collect. So all in all, I’m puzzled where the space comes from. Run it under sim I guess and find out...

tim
Loyalty oaths.Secret searches.No-fly lists.Detention without legal recourse.
Remind me - who won the cold war?