[squeak-dev] How to view an old Error in the debugger?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 4 03:56:02 UTC 2015

On 03.03.2015, at 18:59, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>>
>> You have to suspend the process with the error, and do the error handling in another process. That way you can deal with the error before it is unwound, you can resume etc.
>
> That makes sense but I still want my app to handle the error the way
> it does presenting the messageText, but I want to add a button,
> "Debug" which will open up what happened in the debugger.  The process
> which the error occurs in is the UI process so I can't suspending it.
> It seems like I want to somehow clone it.  Wait..  A Continuation!?
> Is that what I need?

What you need is a prettier PreDebugWindow. This used to be what was shown before the actual debugger (in openNotifierContents:label:) but that's now toolbuilderified.

In any case, that method is still the one that schedules a new UI process to debug the old UI process. You can customize it to show a nice and friendly notification instead of the usual pink pre-debug notifier.

- Bert -