[squeak-dev] New Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 04:59:45 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

On Mar 5, 2015, at 7:04 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have one last
>> modification to do with free space handling on start-up in Spur (the current
>> VMs over-allocate free space), ...
>
> If its on start-up, does that mean I'll need to start and then
> immediately save my image for the free-space to be freed in the
> saved-state of the image?  I assume not. :)

It depends on where you start.  If (once the issue is fixed) from a fresh spur image then no; if from an older one then yes, if you want a compact snapshot.  It'll need a snapshot to squeeze out some free space from the image.  The snapshot code tries to not write out empty segments or the free space at the end of each segment, but currently includes all other free space in old space.  Hopefully it'll get cleverer eventually.