[squeak-dev] Squeak 4.6 release update

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 20:23:00 UTC 2015

Besides welcoming Marcel to the board yesterday, we discussed that
we'd like to push for the 4.6 / 5.0 release by April 30th.  Somehow my
name was the only one to be found on the volunteer list as release
manager, but Eliot voiced his willingness to assist, but will be
relying on others to chip in as well.

So, I've just updated the Squeak 4.5-13686 image from trunk (lo and
behold, it worked without a hitch!) to produce a Squeak4.6-14191.zip
which is now available at ftp.squeak.org/4.6alpha/.

>From this snapshot forward, lets start thinking about the 4.6 release
and all that we want to be in it.  If you have any low-level changes
to the image that would benefit from as much testing as possible, now
is the time to get those finalized and committed into the trunk.
Controversial changes should start in the Inbox as always, we still
have time for one or two more arguments.  :)

In a few weeks, we'll want to start being more conservative with our
changes; only things like tools and cosmetics -- and we'll hammer out
the look and UX.

4.6 is a dual release also as 5.0.  We'll be releasing two VM's and
two images; one each for the Cog and Spur formats.  The content of the
images will be equivalent.