[squeak-dev] 4.6/5.0 -- how to help users manage different formats?

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:34:26 UTC 2015

Hi Eliot and all, for this release I wonder whether we should provide
alternate binary's in the bin directory of the VM to help users manage
the different image formats.

What if, in addition to bin/squeak, Cog would include bin/cog and Spur
would include bin/spur.  In that case, although bin/squeak would be
whoever was installed last, at least users could be explicit about
which VM they want to launch which image.

I know we also talked about some universal bin/squeak which could id
the image format and launch the appropriate binary, which would be
great.

We should plan on doing _something_ in this area for the release.