[squeak-dev] 4.6/5.0 -- how to help users manage different formats?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 16:44:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's right where we left it. Spur introduces a new object memory
> format, so we're doing the right thing: we're breaking the format and
> telling people.
>
> When you load packages into a Spur image, things will just work. When
> you load changesets, things will just work. As far as I know, we've
> taken care that ImageSegments will also load into Spur, and just work.

Ah, not quite.  Image segments saved in 32-bit Spur will load in 32-bit
Spur.  Image segments saved in 64-bit Spur will load in 64-bit Spur.  Image
segments saved in Cog will load in Cog.  But no interoperability is
possible (yet!).  And indeed I believe that image segments saved in the
64-bit Interpreter VM will only load in that 64-bit VM.

The problem with image segments is that they are in the format of the VM's
heap objects.  However, Bert and I want co co-mentor a project to implement
image-level support for loading segments from "foreign" object memories.
Alas GSoC did not approve our organization this year.  Maybe soon.  Or
maybe some student at one of the teaching institutions using Squeak or
Pharo would be interested in having a go.

Note that e.g. Fuel does not have this problem.

But sometimes, if you want to actually make progress, you're going to
> have to bite the bullet and make breaking changes.

+1.  Spur has lots of advantages over the existing system but these can't
be introduced without forcing a change to a new image and a new VM.

frank

--
best,
Eliot