[squeak-dev] Metacello load error

Max Leske maxleske at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 21:28:41 UTC 2015

> On 19 Mar 2015, at 20:18, squeak-dev-request at lists.squeakfoundation.org wrote:
>
> Max,
>
> Before I go about trying to install Squeak on my machine, could you
> provide me with more details about the environment that you are running in?

I’m sorry you had to write all this stuff. I’m usually more thorrough with my reports.

> I'm not seeing any issues with my travis builds nor has anyone else run
> into this issue... So I'm suspicious that the root cause is going to be
> something unique to your working environment. I haven't run Squeak
> myself in months:) and I rely on Travis .... So I have to find and
> download all the bits and pieces to install Squeak in my environment in
> the hopes that when I execute your expression I will see the same
> corruption as you are seeing (I don't have a great batting average in
> this regards) ...
>
> It certainly appears that ConfigurationOfMetacello-dkh.800.mcz is not
> corrupted up on smalltalkhub or gemsource (the two repos accessed during
> bootstrapping)... which also leads me to believe that the root cause is
> in your setup ...
>
> Your package has been truncated it should be 128999 bytes and your copy
> is 53989 ... perhaps your copy of the package is corrupted in the
> package-cache?
>
> The next most likely culprit is the vm ... which brings me back to why I
> asked the question at the top of the email ... if you give me the
> details about your setup - vm version is probably the most important,
> since I get the impression that there a lot of them running around and
> the version you have depends upon when you downloaded yours... but it
> would help if you told me where you got your images and changes files as
> well ... oh and the os version, too...
>
> Dale

I've figured it out. Your were right, the newest Cog VM doesn’t exhibit the problem. The problem seems to be the method ZipWriteStream>>deflateBlock:chainLength:goodMatch:. The primitive in that method fails in 4.6 only when I open the 4.6 image with the VM packaged with the 4.5 all-in-one app ('Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.331] 4.5’). The fallback method generates an error.
This is reproducible when using the fallback instead of the primitive with the other VM and a 4.5 image too, so there is definitely something wrong with the Zip implementation. Here’s a snippet for reproducing the problem:

ZipWriteStream removeSelector: #deflateBlock:chainLength:goodMatch:.

(Installer monticello http: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository')
	package: 'Gofer-Core-lr.115.mcz';
	install.

(Smalltalk at: #Gofer) new
	url: 'http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello';
	addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
	load

So no need for you to fix anything about Metacello. Sorry about the fuss.

Cheers,
Max