[squeak-dev] Re: The Inbox: Tools-topa.556.mcz

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Mon Mar 23 15:26:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Marcel Taeumel <
marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> According so Shneiderman [1, p.445], simple but frequent tasks should take
> no
> longer than 1 second. Personally, I find this too long for opening a
> context
> menu. Let us shoot for at most 500 milliseconds. Now bench. Where are we?
>
> If it lies within scope, let us favor this flexible programming interface
> instead of performance improvements that many users will not
> notice/appreciate here.
>
> [1] Shneiderman. "Designing the User Interface". 5th Edition. Pearson.
> 2010.

Jakob Nielsen was the reference text for my undergraduate Human Computer
Interaction course...
http://www.nngroup.com/articles/response-times-3-important-limits/

* 0.1 second is about the limit for having the user feel that the system is
reacting instantaneously, meaning that no special feedback is necessary
except to display the result.

* 1.0 second is about the limit for the user's flow of thought to stay
uninterrupted, even though the user will notice the delay. Normally, no
special feedback is necessary during delays of more than 0.1 but less than
1.0 second, but the user does lose the feeling of operating directly on the
data.

* 10 seconds is about the limit for keeping the user's attention focused on
the dialogue. For longer delays, users will want to perform other tasks
while waiting for the computer to finish, so they should be given feedback
indicating when the computer expects to be done. Feedback during the delay
is especially important if the response time is likely to be highly
variable, since users will then not know what to expect.

Context menus should feel instantaneous.
cheers -ben