[squeak-dev] Re: disableProgrammerFacilities

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Mon May 4 16:06:32 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Dan Norton <dnorton at mindspring.com> wrote:

> On 3 May 2015 at 22:26, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>
> > Interesting. :) Can elaborate on what it means to "disable the IDE"
> > in terms
> > of Squeak?
> >
> > - System Browser, Inspctor, Explorer, Message Set, ...
> > - Morphic Halos, Meta menus
> > - Distinct keyboard shortcuts such as CMD+P, CMD+D, ...
> > - Shrinking down the world menu to Transcript/Save/Quit
> > - ...
>
> That's a good list. I would like there to be no way for a user to get to
> any part of the IDE. Also
> not be able to determine the programming language.
> >
> > Is it a deployment scenario? What might happen if a debugger wants
> > to pop
> > up?
> >

> Definitely only for deployment of a robust application IMO. The comments
> and pop-ups in
> #disableProgrammerFacilities provide caveats.
>
> > ...What does eToys do? =)
> >

> Good question.

Etoys set the etoyFriendly preference to true.
That disables the world menu and make debugger just signal an error instead
of the full debugger.
EtoyFriendly is not used to totally disable the whole system, more to keep
kids on the topic of Etoys. The whole Squeak environment is too much for
most elementary school classes.

You can bypass etoysFriendly quite easily.
Browse senders of etoysFriendly to see how it is used.

Karl