[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] A fast Transcript

Florin Mateoc florin.mateoc at gmail.com
Sat May 9 23:20:32 UTC 2015

On 5/9/2015 7:06 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> The main performance hog is the full redraw of the whole morph for every single #endEntry send. The morph re-renders
> all visible lines (see NewParagraph >> #displayOn:using:at:).
> If the visible lines' were cached on a form (probably one form per line), and only the newly added text were drawn
> during the update, then I think the performance would be similar to Cuis's implementation's, but without restrictions
> (text not selectable/editable).
>
> Levente

Transcript writing is slow in VisualWorks and VisualAge as well and neither uses Morphic.
My usual workaround is to cover Transcript with another window to avoid the redraws while the heavy activity is
happening. I suppose this would work in Morphic as well.
This seemed good/simple enough that I never cared to "fix" it.

Florin