[squeak-dev] Support Regular Expressions in Trunk

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Tue May 12 15:56:19 UTC 2015

Am 12.05.2015 17:07, schrieb Levente Uzonyi:
> Definitely. I've been playing with the idea - while I was working on
> my still unreleased DNS package - but I came to the conclusion that
> the VM side has to be cleaned first.
> The plugin should use the platform's support library, instead of some
> ~10 years old version.
Please, no! It's much easier to work with some old library that has
consistent behaviour everywhere than it is to find and work around the
differences between platform libraries e.g. on Windows, Linux, and some
regular UNIX variant. At work I need to do that with VA Smalltalk code
page conversion (UTF-8 to ISO8859L1 and back) - code that works on the
client doesn't work on the server, so there's a special case and
workaround needed to get everything right.
The only acceptable option if you really want to use an external library
would be to include a standard regex C library with well-defined
functionality in the VM.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin