[squeak-dev] C.H.I.P. comes pre-loaded with Scratch

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue May 12 17:11:21 UTC 2015

On 12-05-2015, at 5:15 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> Newsworthy?
>
> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer

It *could* be an interesting thing, but there appear to be some problems.
For example, it only has a composite video out, so a fairly expensive adaptor is need to use any likely monitor. Not an issue of course for headless usage. Except they are touting the uses as a desktop machine - hey, even Scratch, wonder if they’ve adopted my improved version - which sort of needs a monitor. And the shipping is *$20*. And it only has half as much memory as a Pi, which apparently was a totally killer problem for the Pi until the Pi 2 came out. And open source bigots^H^H^H^H^Hafficionados are complaining about the use of an AllWinner soc.
On the other hand it has wi-fi & BT included.

As an IoT platform it seems like it would have a good place in the world, if the shipping didn’t make it essentially as expensive as a Pi but without the backup, community and educational raison.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Utinam coniurati te in foro interficiant! = May conspirators assassinate you in the mall!