[squeak-dev] C.H.I.P. comes pre-loaded with Scratch

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Thu May 14 04:54:34 UTC 2015

While calling the Raspberry Pi and the C.H.I.P. "computers" is very good
marketing, it is also rather misleading. Most people would call just a
box with no keyboard or monitor a "cpu" rather than a computer. And if
it is just a board with components that doesn't have a box, power supply
or disks (in the case of the Raspberry Pi) they would call it a
"motherboard".

You can see the confusion when taking into account that you can buy four
of the slightly weaker C.H.I.P. for the same as just one Raspberry Pi B.
But if you check the costs for complete systems then they are
essentially the same and close to the price of the lowest end laptops
and tablets.

Having said all that, I think that the C.H.I.P. designers did a very
good job. When I first saw what AllWinner was doing with the ARM a few
years back this was exactly what I was looking forward to seeing. It is
a pity that you still can't buy five, for example, $9 boards and hook
them together into one faster computer. After all, Linux clusters are
pretty mature technology by now.

-- Jecel