[squeak-dev] which squeak sources/image/changes file should I use for Debian/Jessie

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue May 19 03:08:53 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 06:47:55PM -0600, Ralph Boland wrote:
> I just downloaded and installed (via apt-get install)  squeak-vm on my
> computer upon which
> I am running Debian/Jessie i386.
>
> I would like to know which sources file, image file and changes file I
> should download to
> match this image.  I am looking for a stable version of squeak 4.5.
>
> Note that apt-get installed squeak-vm 1:4.10.2.2614-1.1+b1  which I assume to be
> compatible with squeak 4.5
>
> Once this is installed I will be migrating my Squeak code from 3.11  to  4.5.
> Is there any gotchas that I should be aware of for this migration?

Hi Ralph,

I would recommend getting your image and VM through the references on
http://www.squeak.org/Downloads. In particular, please get your VM through
one of those links, rather than relying on apt-get. The Debian package may
work, but problems have been reported particularly for 64-bit systems.

Given your objective to move from 3.11 to 4.5, the official 4.5 release
is a good image to work with. Be aware that a new release is pending. This
will be 4.6/5.0, with the 5.0 designation applied to a new object memory
format (by Eliot Miranda) that will support better performance and new
garbage collection strategies. But you can very easily move your application
from 4.5 to the newest 4.6/5.0 once you have in running on 4.5.

The Cog VMs (mirandabanda.org) will give you superior performance, and the
traditional interpreter VMs (squeakvm.org)) will work well with both Squeak
4.5 and your current 3.11 images.  Any of these VMs will serve you well,
but please do get one through the links at http://www.squeak.org/Downloads.

HTH,
Dave