[SPAM] [squeak-dev] 4.6 Codename (was: Squeak 4.6 Release Notes)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu May 21 17:51:01 UTC 2015

On 21-05-2015, at 10:21 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 21.05.2015, at 18:08, Mateusz Grotek <unoduetre at poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
>
>>> I know that Spur is the name of your VM software, but does that mean
>>> it cannot also be the name of this release?  I think it fits but if
>>> you object I did think of another good one I like...
>>
>> It will certainly create a confusion, that this release is based on Spur. I would be confused! Please, don't do that.
>
> +1. There's already confusion of what Spur actually is.

How about
"This is a dual release; 4.6 continues the 4.5 system with many improvements, whilst 5.0 introduces the Spur memory model and the new VM required to support it. Aside from differences related to making Characters immediates (as with SmallIntegers) the two systems appear the same to programmers"

tim
Useful random insult:- All foam, no beer.