[squeak-dev] "Stirrup" needs your help

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue May 26 16:04:22 UTC 2015

On Tue, 26 May 2015, Chris Muller wrote:

>>> Eliot decided he wants to codename 4.6 "Stirrup" and 5.0 "Spur".
>>>
>>> We are just a few steps from releasing we just need some volunteer(s)
>>> help.
>>>
>>> You know, if we could coordinate and change the Jenkins build to
>>> produce the actual release image we want, along with new .sources and
>>> .changes, and possibly even an All-In-One, maybe that's a release
>>> process we could really like..?
>>

>> That's exactly what the ReleaseSqueakTrunk job should be doing.
>> http://build.squeak.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/
>
> Yes, "should".  If it would do all those things then we'd basically be
> ready to "release" any day we ever wanted with nothing more than a FTP
> upload, website update, and a news release.
>
> Unfortunately, it just produces a 4.5 trunk image, not a 4.6 release
> image, and it doesn't make new .changes, nor new .sources, and no new
> All-In-One (or does it?).

It's the SqueakTrunk job which produces Trunk images.
IIRC the ReleaseSqueakTrunk job takes the Trunk image from SqueakTrunk.
Then it runs the code in ReleaseBuilder class, which is responsible for
the image-side changes for the next release.
I'm not sure what you'd like to do with the .sources and .changes files.

> What would it take to get us there?

IMHO the best would be to build the All-In-One in another job - triggered
by ReleaseSqueakTrunk.

Levente