[squeak-dev] Re: Fixing tab behaviour and browser hierarchy appearance

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 23:05:21 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015, marcel.taeumel wrote:
>
>> Do Eliots recent changes work fine? Seems so. :)
>

> Shift+Tab doesn't work at all.

It doesn't work on Linux.  It _does_ work on Windows.  Not sure about
Mac (someone confirm?).  Strangely, Control+Tab does NOT work on
Windows.

My hope is that this is a trivial VM fix so that Squeak can have
access to that key.  Lets design our vision of ideal for the image,
and then we'll have it once the VM gets fixed.  Of course, we better
check with Eliot about that..   :)

Eliot, if there's no hope of having Shift[+Control]+Tab detection on
all platforms, then we should wish to consider other options...

> Tab doesn't work when the first selected character is not a whitespace.

Agree, because that's when I actually WANT replacement via the Tab
character, not indentation.

Almost like if Eliots change were reversed I might like it better..
Putting Tab in the midddle of a line seems much rarer than the
beginning...

Still, IF Control+Tab worked, that would be the idea solution.

> The common solution is that Tab replaces the selection when it's within a
> single line, and indents when it spans over multiple lines.

Not sure, it seems just as likely to want to select entire multi-line
expressions and wnat to replace them iwth new expressions, starting
with a Tabular indentation...

> I think that's what we should implement as well.
> Shift+Tab is fine to unindent in all cases, because we don't expect
> replacement for that key combination.

Agree there, if only the key worked...