[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Sound-tpr.45.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Nov 22 23:14:50 UTC 2015

> On 22-11-2015, at 11:08 PM, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
>
> tim Rowledge uploaded a new version of Sound to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Sound-tpr.45.mcz

> Name: Sound-tpr.45
> Author: tpr
> Time: 22 November 2015, 3:08:45.33 pm
> UUID: 47fd8f98-1a2b-4724-95cc-6f1b34b9ff19
> Ancestors: Sound-tpr.44
>
> Attempting to start the SoundRecorder on hardwarewith no sound input (ie a RaspberryPi) fails and there  is no attempt to handle it. Tacky.
>
> Remove the prim failure from primStartRecording... and raise a Warning instead from startRecording. The main recorder process is perfectly happy to run and do nothing. In the Scratchg code I can catch the exception and inform the users rather more politely than by opening a debugger.

A couple of points about this
a) dammit, the save dialogue DID NOT SHOW computeSustainValueAtMSecs, sustainEnd, midiCmd:channel:byte: , midiCmd:channel:byte:byte: as being changed. They should not have been included.
b) This is in the inbox because someone may have a better idea than using a generic Warning. I don’t mind as long as I know so I can do the right thing in the Scratch code.
c) I can’t test the results of this change on Windows, nor on a linux box that *does* have sound input hardware to connect to - nor a Mac that doesn’t.
d) assuming it satisfies everyone we would want to patch the generic RecordingControlsMorph in a similar manner to the Scratch recorder morph.

tim
Oxymorons: New classic