[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Traits-pre.307.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Nov 23 23:07:22 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 10:50:26AM -0800, Colin Putney wrote:

> So here's my proposal: let's decide as a community whether we want
> Environments or not. I pledge to help implement the decision either way. If
> people want to go back to the classical ST-80 global namespace, I'll help
> with that. Or we can figure out what would be required for Environments to
> actually be worth keeping and I'll help work on that too.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Colin

I strongly favor keeping Environments in the image and doing whatever is
needed to address issues that are currently blocking use of image segments
(or whatever other real or perceived problems we may have).

My opinion is based in no small part on Andreas Raab's assessment that
Environments is a difficult job done right. I am no expert in this area,
but I trust Andreas' judgement a lot in matters like this. A good, elegant
solution to a difficult problem is worth the effort to bring to completion,
even if it takes us a few years to get it done. Let's stick with it and
make it right.

Dave