[squeak-dev] Empty packages in squeak46 repo (was: Re: Squeak 4.6: System-dtl.754.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Oct 9 00:31:09 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 08:05:39PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 07:55:51PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > For squeak4.6, this fixes the bug that Craig reported on vm-dev
> > http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2015-October/019562.html
> >
> > I also see at least one mcz in the squeak46 repository that is empty, apparently
> > originally loaded from trunk for the release image, but somehow copied with
> > errors from trunk to squeak46.
> >
> > I fixed System-topa.753 by copying the good one in trunk into squeak46. There
> > may be a few more bad mcz files in squeak46. I'll fix them as I spot them.
> >

> Compiler-eem.304 and Collections-topa.638 were also empty in the squeak46 repo,
> so I copied the good ones from trunk to squeak46.

I hope I am not doing something stupid here. I wanted to fix the recreateSpecialObjectsArray
bug that remained in the squeak46 repo, and in doing so noticed some empty MCZ
packages in that repo. I presume that this is an error, some artifact of copying
them from trunk during the 4.6/5.0 release process. So I fixed (?) this by
copying the good (not empty) MCZ files from trunk to squeak46.

All is well, except that I now have a dirty package in Kernel after doing an
updateFromServer. The conflicting method is CompiledMethod>>hasBreakpoint, which
is one that was moved around and refactored in the later trunk development.

Before I do anything dangerous to try to "fix" this (after all, hasBreakpoint
will hang the system if it goes missing), can someone (Chris?) please confirm
that those packages were *not* supposed to be empty, and that the good copies
from trunk would be the right thing to have in squeak46?

Thanks,
Dave