[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Morphic-cmm.1011.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 02:19:16 UTC 2015

Hi Tobias,

> On Oct 17, 2015, at 10:53 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> On 18.10.2015, at 00:56, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> On 16.10.2015, at 16:33, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
>>
>>> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Morphic to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Morphic-cmm.1011.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Morphic-cmm.1011
>>> Author: cmm
>>> Time: 16 October 2015, 11:33:30.083 am
>>> UUID: cd841f83-985d-4bf9-b4bf-80bac0dd2b50
>>> Ancestors: Morphic-mt.1010
>>>
>>> - Improved keyboard support.  "Desktop" command keys which are not overloaded by browsers are now available globally, so they can be accessed at any time (without needing to first give focus to the desktop).
>>>      The following commands are now available globally:
>>>              Command+Shift+O -> access a Monticello browser.
>>>              Command+Shift+P -> access a Preferences browser.
>>>              Command+Shift+Z -> browse the recent change log.
>>>              Command+] -> save the image.
>>>              Command+\ -> send the active window to the back.
>>>              Command+Escape -> Close the active window (formerly Command+w).
>>
>> Why? It's CMD-W on osx and Alt-W on windows and Ctrl-W on Linux. Why change it _away_ form cmd-w?
>>

>> Command+w has been to the desktop keys.
>>
>> I wanted Cmd+w for the global key too, but it is already overloaded by the editor for back-word.  Back-word is overloaded with Shift+Control+[Left Arrow], but Cmd+w is nice for maintainig hand position while typing.
>
> Thanks.
> I never understood why it is back-word… I just found it is back-word for readline (and hence most osx UI) but with ctrl-w.
> We really should rethink the meaning of CMD/ctrl/alt…

+1 & try and make things consistent with VNC key mapping, Mac X server key mapping and Parallels coherence key mapping (etc?) so that things continue to work when running Linux and Windows images via X & parallels.  We should be prepared to change the VM.  And if it is there, it would be great to lift the mapping out of the VM.