[squeak-dev] [Pharo-dev] [Cryptography port to Pharo] RandomGenerator class>>unpredictableStringsDo:

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Tue Oct 20 14:26:36 UTC 2015

Hi Tim,

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:02:25 -0700, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

>> On 19-10-2015, at 5:58 AM, Louis LaBrunda <Lou at Keystone-Software.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think most CPUs support "Digital
>> Thermal Sensor" (I'm not sure about ARM).
>
>ARM *is* most cpus. I think we long ago passed the point where more than 50% of all >32bit cpus were ARM.

You are of course right.  Possibly when I first read about "Digital Thermal
Sensor", things may have been different.  But I'm sure everyone knew what I
meant.

>Typically the temperature of each core is monitored by stuff added around the ARM cores in an SoC, not the ARM itself. For example on a Pi, `vcgencmd measure_temp` works, though strictly speaking that measures the general temp of the SoC - which like many devices that are ARM powered is a large thing to do stuff and just happens to have a few Gips of processor hidden in a small corner.

>tim

Exactly what temperature is being measured probably doesn't matter as long
as there is enough range to help add some entropy.

Lou