[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: System-mt.771.mcz

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Oct 21 12:47:33 UTC 2015

In my system, comparing stamp strings is about 100 times faster than
comparing sources to detect the current version of code in the image.
(~6,000,000 vs. ~60,000 per second)

Considering the fact that stamps may be duplicate requires just 1 additional
LOC:

versions detect: [:v | v stamp = current stamp
   and: [v source = current source].

...or none if you format differently. ;)

I have 80,000 methods in my system. Adding 3 bytes/characters to each stamp
would require an additional ~235 kB in the changes/sources file, which is
about 0.007% of our 5.0 sources file. For example, adding 10 versions to
*each* method would require additional 2 megs. However, 800,000 method
changes are quite a lot.

Hmm... printing the full timestamp would make that #copyFrom:to: call in
Utilities >> #changeStamp obsolete. :-D

*~*~*~*~*

Whatever. I like to avoid that 1 LOC. I like to speed-up such
detection/sorting algorithm if the actual problem size will be somewhat
unknown in the (near) future.

But time zones would be nice. :)

Best,
Marcel