[squeak-dev] Menus and cmd keys considered quite, quite, mad

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Oct 21 22:18:09 UTC 2015

> On 21-10-2015, at 2:49 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 11:47:12PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> On 21.10.2015, at 23:35, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I wish I had time to clean this up but I have to make VM changes to support a largish number of Scratch users and my brain is about ready to explode.
>>
>> Speaking for the pragma-based menu system, yes, there's room for
>> improvement, and once Start-of-Semester stress settles down,
>> I'll take on it.
>>

> Yay!
>
> Dave

I’ll +1 and thumbs-up that idea. I understand you were talking about this stuff with eliot just yesterday, so nice synchronicity there.

I’m moderately sure there is something of a faintly similar nature that could help Morphic performance in general. There’s far too much by way of “ooh, let’s do some complicated work to get a value and compare it with the current value to see if anything has changed before altering the UI” when an approach more like “let’s see if this flag has been set to tell me that some complicated work actually needs to be done to find a new value and update the UI” would be of some benefit.

People working on anything relating to the UI really ought to be required to run on a Pi or similar so that they are constantly reminded of the cost of apparently clever ideas. If it runs fast on a PI imagine how quick it can seem on a fast PC.

tim
Strange OpCodes: SHP: Solve Halting Problem