[squeak-dev] re: FFI callbacks

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 16:30:44 UTC 2015

Hi Craig,

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

> Hi Eliot--
>
> > > I loaded Alien-eem.25 into Squeak 5.0.15110 on Mac OS 10.11.15A279b
> > > from the Monticello HTTP repository at [1]. I ran AlienSunit in the
> > > Test Runner, and it crashed Squeak. Before I get into posting error
> > > logs, can anyone confirm that AlienSunit runs successfully on their
> > > machine, on any host platform, or that I shouldn't expect it to run
> > > successfully? Are there other Monticello packages I should be
> >
> > I get 15 passes and one failure, that being testLongLong.  But that's
> > in my VMMaker image, which has some extras in it.  AFAIA tough Alien
> > should just work.  I'll look at the testLongLong failure soon cuz I'm
> > starting on the x64 JIT and that requires the above to work to access
> > the processor alien.
>
>      Would you please try with the current Squeak 5 release?

OK, so in an updated Squeak 5 release containing only Alien

- the 5.0 All-in-one locks up and core dumps
- the same VM from my site (CogSpur.app-15.27.3397.tgz
<http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3397/CogSpur.app-15.27.3397.tgz>)
fails the testLongLong test but all others pass.

So there's something strange about the all-in-one.  I'll try and
investigate further as time allows but perhaps you could look at the
plugins and see whether one of them is rogue, e.g. by removing the external
plugins one by one?

>      Also, is it feasible to make FFI calls to a 64-bit C library?

Not from a 32-bit executable.  One can't even load a 64-bit library into a
32-bit executable.  Building a 64-bit version of the 32-bit VM is possible
but a lot of work (needs a 674-nit JIT).  Instead I'm pursuing a proper
all-64-bit solution.

--
best, Eliot