[squeak-dev] The Trunk: SMLoader-cmm.85.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 20:04:25 UTC 2015

After review and some thought, it has become clear to me that Dave's
change is incorrect.  Please take a look at the SqueakMap filters and
consider them from the context of the use-cases -- what users need to
do with SqueakMap, and NOT from the context of a database that needs
to produce generalized "query results" <---- because it doesn't.

"Published" are the ones which have software to install, while
"Auto-installable" shows only packages that are installable from the
"Install" menu selection within the image.  These two filters are
useful together in a restricting fashion, not an inflating one, so
that newbies can see what's ready to go.

It was then that I also realized that Hannes' combination was not a
use-case either.  The use-cases we have are:  1) user wants to install
software or, 2) user wants to see what they have already installed.
Seeing a cumulative list of both installed and uninstalled satisfies
neither use-case.

Nevertheless you may once again "Clear all filters" (which was broken
by Dave's commit) if you want to see everything.

I still say SqueakMap catalog can and needs improvement, but we need
to really consider our changes because its clear that Göran put a lot
of thought into the usage of SqueakMap and its role in the community;
so I think we can afford to be a bit more skeptical before thinking
something like that was a bug in the first place and for nine years
running..