[squeak-dev] The Trunk: SMLoader-cmm.85.mcz -- SqueakMap Installable packages / installed packages display

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 21:24:41 UTC 2015

On 9/15/15, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> After review and some thought, it has become clear to me that Dave's
> change is incorrect.  Please take a look at the SqueakMap filters and
> consider them from the context of the use-cases -- what users need to
> do with SqueakMap, and NOT from the context of a database that needs
> to produce generalized "query results" <---- because it doesn't.
>
> "Published" are the ones which have software to install, while
> "Auto-installable" shows only packages that are installable from the
> "Install" menu selection within the image.  These two filters are
> useful together in a restricting fashion, not an inflating one, so
> that newbies can see what's ready to go.
>
> It was then that I also realized that Hannes' combination was not a
> use-case either.  The use-cases we have are:  1) user wants to install
> software or, 2) user wants to see what they have already installed.
> Seeing a cumulative list of both installed and uninstalled satisfies
> neither use-case.

I disagree.

>From a user interface perspective the problem lies in the fact that it
allows me to _select_

1) show installable software
2) show installed software

at the _same_ time.

Then
I expect to see the set of installable software unified with the set
of installed software.

What is implemented corresponds to check boxes. What is implemented is
radio buttons behaviour. But the radio buttons do not work as it is
possible to have more than one buttion active at the same time.
Cumulative selections should not be allowed. At the moment they are.

The behaviour of the GUI is not what is expected. Some people actually
do call this a bug.

> Nevertheless you may once again "Clear all filters" (which was broken
> by Dave's commit) if you want to see everything.
>
> I still say SqueakMap catalog can and needs improvement,

+1

 but we need
> to really consider our changes because its clear that Göran put a lot
> of thought into the usage of SqueakMap and its role in the community;

Yes, he did but but this surely not the right spot to illustrate this point.

The GUI seems to be abandoned as of now. I think it is worthwhile to
fix obvious issues.

> so I think we can afford to be a bit more skeptical before thinking
> something like that was a bug in the first place and for nine years
> running..

There could be other reasons for no change in 9 years
a)  Not many people use it and see it as a legacy app which does not
need to be fixed.
b) Idiosyncrasies are accepted as other parts of the GUI have similar problems.

The fact that there was no change in 9 years is not an argument for
the quality as such as you easily can imagine.