[squeak-dev] Ni - a strange little language

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Sep 16 11:58:36 UTC 2015

Hi guys!

Just wanted to give a pointer to a little language I am implementing:

http://goran.krampe.se/2015/09/16/ni-a-strange-little-language/

Is it a new Smalltalk-80? No.
Is it Smalltalkish? Yes. But still quite different. :)

The article tries to introduce some of the funkier aspects of Ni. In
essence Ni is a homoiconic dynamically typed garbage collected 100% live
language similar to Lisp/Rebol/Forth in its simplicity.

But it also has Smalltalk keyword syntax, Smalltalk non local return,
blocks-as-closures as in Smalltalk and well, perhaps a few more odds and
ends similar to Smalltalk.

And one of the next steps is adding objects to it. This will be based on
a model of cloning and delegation and an object, so a bit closer to Self
there.

Why would you want to look at it? Because it breaks (or will break) a
few barriers that most Smalltalks still suffer from... easy integration
with C/C++, multithreading, embeddability and so on.

Hope you find it interesting!

regards, Göran

PS. Fast? Nope. I mean, its decent for an AST interpreter but I haven't
spent time optimizing it yet - it uses dynamically allocated things and
methods (dynamic dispatch) quite heavily today.