[squeak-dev] No MIDI ports found on Linux

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Sep 27 16:26:49 UTC 2015

> On 27-09-2015, at 7:34 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> This depends on which sound driver you’re running with. IIRC only Squeak’s ALSA module supports MIDI.

And we need to remember that ALSA needs fixing to deal with interrupts correctly; on Pi it is a major nuisance and I hope we finally got the fixed version into the new Raspbian release coming out in the next few days. Eliot can tell about the ‘fun’ they had sorting it out at Qwaq.

We don’t seem to be able to get midi general instrument sounds either.
The mess that *nix seems to have built around sound is amazing to me.

tim
The enema of my enemy is my friend