[squeak-dev] Discard the event tickler process?

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Apr 4 14:16:55 UTC 2016

Hi, there!

There used to be a time, where it was userful (on some platforms) to
regularly fetch events from the VM in a separate (non-UI) process. This
process is called "The Event Tickler".

However, the current implementation of EventSensor fetches new events in
every necessary occasion. See all senders of #fetchMoreEvents.

The event tickler process does nothing but automate that call to
"EventSensor default fetchMoreEvents", which is not necessary. Neither for
current MVC nor for Morphic.

Can we get rid of that event tickler process?

To try out, file-in this and save-restart the image:
EventSensor-startUp.st
<http://forum.world.st/file/n4888251/EventSensor-startUp.st>

***

Or may there be some other reason? :-O The comment in EventSensor >>
#eventTickler is not supportive and also wrong at the moment:

"Poll infrequently to make sure that the UI process is not been stuck.
If it has been stuck, then spin the event loop so that I can detect the
interrupt key."

There is no relation to the interrupt key at the moment. CMD+. works via a
distinct semaphore. And there is no code that frequently tests for CMD+. in
the image either.

Best,
Marcel