[squeak-dev] Discard the event tickler process?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Apr 4 17:40:46 UTC 2016

> On 04-04-2016, at 7:16 AM, marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
> There used to be a time, where it was userful (on some platforms) to
> regularly fetch events from the VM in a separate (non-UI) process. This
> process is called "The Event Tickler”.

IIRC this is something Andreas & I developed to make sure that polling UI systems such as RISC OS could reliably work. It’s so old it might even have been true for some then-still-used Windows systems. By making sure that at least every half-second the events got checked we could keep things in nice order.

The interrupt key thing was (again, so far as I can recall, may be wrong, your smilage may fairy, etc etc) supposed to tickle the relevant semaphore directly and not even pass in a key event. The last time I looked at code in that area made me think that something had been horribly broken but I just didn’t have energy to dig into it.

tim
Strange OpCodes: IIB: Ignore Inquiry and Branch anyway