[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: Kernel-mt.1012.mcz

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Tue Apr 5 21:48:43 UTC 2016

Hi all,

On 05.04.2016, at 22:52, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Marcel,
>

>> On Apr 5, 2016, at 8:23 AM, marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Levente,
>>
>> #releaseActionMap is part of the System package, not Kernel package, where
>> Object belongs to.
>>
>> Unless we decide to tightly couple both packages, we either require "self
>> respondsTo:" or an override extension from System to Kernel.
>
> Let's do an override extension from System to Kernel.  Bert, does Monticello do the right thing, and publish Kernel with the overridden method and System with the overriding method, or does it all break, eg if someone condenses changes?

Overrides always have a strange taste for me.
I would rather not have overrides in our most basic packages
like Kernel/System; the override mechanism depends on things like package info (maybe even monticello))
which are not this basic, I think.

What about an empty #release in ProtoObject and an extension in System?

Best
	-Tobias

PS: I also thought about an analogy to #future like that:
	self maybe releaseMap.