[squeak-dev] Adjusting Morphic Alarm Times

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Fri Apr 8 16:37:55 UTC 2016

Hi, there!

There is this method WorldState >> #adjustAlarmTimes: to correct larger
drifts between the nowTime and the lastAlarmTime. A check and this
correction is performed in *every *world cycle.

Here is, where it works fine:
1. You set an alarm to go off in 5 seconds.
2. You immediately close the Squeak image.
3. You wait a minute.
4. You open Squeak again.
5. You wait 5 seconds.
6. Alarm goes off.

I think we can agree that a closed Squeak image freezes all Morphic
behavior.

Now, here is, where it seems annoying:
1. You set an alarm to go off in 5 seconds.
2. You immediately start a longer running operation from the workspace in
the UI process.
3. You wait that operation to complete. Maybe some minutes.
*4. You still have to wait 5 seconds.*
5. Alarm goes off.

This is not acceptable. Think of larger alarm delays. We cannot just ignore
the fact that time has passed while working inside the image. It think we
should only adjust alarm times when:

- Starting a Squeak image.
- Entering a Morphic project.

Because in both cases, the respective Morphic world freezed. Any thoughts on
this?

Best,
Marcel