[squeak-dev] Any hope for Smalltalk on Raspberry Pi?

ReliableRobots.com reliablerobots at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 16:19:58 UTC 2016

I have Squeak on a RPi but I don't know how to access any USB peripherals
or how to make primitives to do so.  I want to use RPi for controlling a
microcontroller and processing webcam video for my robot.  If I can't get
that in Smalltalk can it be added or what language should I move to?

I was referred to
http://car.mines-douai.fr/category/software/pharos/
but I can't get it to work on RPi.

A major focus of RPi is to teach electronics but without access to the
peripherals, Smallltalk is not useful.  But some access is available in
Scratch which is built on top of Squeak so why can't I get access to that
code directly instead of going through the Scratch changes file?

Why can't I get Smalltalk goodies like I used to buy from Digitalk?  With
all the VM work, there must be a way to hook up C++ code like OpenCV to do
real time video contours and other image recognition algorithms.  Dolphin
has a somewhat easy way to add primitives.

If Squeak all in one contains package bundles only for Mac, why not include
essentials for RPi?