[squeak-dev] Re: Why do we process the shutdown list if not snapshotting?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 20:15:22 UTC 2016

If you are willing to save a snapshot in a state in which resources
were not cleaned up -- and you're okay with that -- then one of two
things must be true, either:

  - You never intend to actaully consume that snapshot or,
  - you have code which is unnecessarily cleaning up resources when it
doesn't need to, so just remove that code

Is your use-case that you want to do a "quick save" which doesn't
clean up, and then, eventually, a "save and quit" which does clean up?

This assumes the image will never crash?  It assumes you would never
need to re-load the quick-saved image?  If so, then you should either
not save at all, or remove the clean up code.

I think the reasons do matter.  If we can't articulate WHY what we're
doing is a laudable aim, then we're just adding more and more API for
obscure things which no one will ever use.  This does not move us
toward a simpler system that anyone could fully understand.