[squeak-dev] Who breaks it, fixes it -- A Question about our Development Model

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Apr 21 09:48:56 UTC 2016

Hey Squeak Community,

according to our development model here:
https://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/a-new-community-development-model/

If I break something, I am responsible for fixing it.

So, if I meant to fix a bug such as here:
http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Morphic-mt-1119-mcz-td4890816.html

And somebody raises an issue about new bugs added or some use case missed,
is there a general need to revert that before further disscussions? More
importantly, wouldn't I be in charge of reverting it? And not somebody
else...

Note that we all assume that any trunk committer thoroughly investigates the
changes made and fixes yet discusses obvious issues --- before committing
such changes. This fundamental level of trust comes with being allowed to
commit to trunk in the first place. Nevertheless, remaining issues can
easily discussed on the mailing list and the responsible committer can
fix/revert them right away -- or delegate it to someone else if time is
rare.

At least, this is what I expect from every trunk committer. :-)

It seems* to work pretty well:
http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-ToolBuilder-Morphic-kfr-159-mcz-td4879754.html
http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Collections-mt-688-mcz-td4889675.html
http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Monticello-mt-629-mcz-td4887731.html
http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Morphic-cmm-615-mcz-td4524250.html
http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Graphics-tfel-327-mcz-td4880035.html

Sometimes, it seems* to not work:
http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Morphic-cmm-1052-mcz-td4862408.htm
http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-SMLoader-cmm-85-mcz-td4850418.html
http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Morphic-cmm-1120-mcz-td4890853.html
http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Tools-cmm-693-mcz-td4890497.html

What is your opinion?

Best,
Marcel

* No limit or warranty. Off-list discussions not considered. Just
exemplified.