[squeak-dev] Who breaks it, fixes it -- A Question about our Development Model

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 17:03:05 UTC 2016

Hi All,

> On Apr 21, 2016, at 4:49 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> I think that the intention of the "you break it, you fix it" rule is
> that we must take responsibility for the changes that we make, and that
> we should not intentionally cause problems and then expect someone else
> to clean up the mess. All of the trunk contributors have been doing their
> best to respect this rule, and it works very well.
>
> Sometimes a change is made to trunk that causes a serious problem that
> affects all of us, such as breaking the update stream (and I have been
> guilty of this myself). The problem may not be immediately obvious to
> the person making the change, or that person may not be able to quickly
> fix the issue. In those cases, I would expect that anyone who is able
> to fix it should do so as quickly as possible.
>
> For other kinds of concerns, I think that as a matter of courtesy it
> is good practice to give the person who caused the problem the first
> opportunity to revert the change or fix the problem.

+1.  (I presume) no one wants to slow down our rate of progress or make people afraid to make mistakes.  Simply that one can't expect others to pick up the pieces.  There are obvious safe guards; run unit tests, read the mailing list, ask for help, offer to help if this is your area of expertise and you can find the time.  And if you break it, make a timely effort to fix it.

There's another aspect to this.  If you want to change something and there's a good chance it will impact other users negatively, discuss it in the mailing list first, and/or commit prototypes to inbox for others to try/review/alter.