[squeak-dev] Cog's Date today = 8 January 1608?

Tim Johnson digit at sonic.net
Fri Apr 29 15:00:08 UTC 2016

Hello Squeakers,

I have seen a few cases now where I load up an older Squeak image with a newer Cog VM, and "Date today" returns a date like '8 January 1608'.

I used to regularly (and safely, I thought) use newer VMs to open older images, but that was more in the days when the Carbon VM was still being updated.

This has happened to me on both Windows and OS X.

A Cog version which still works is #3390.  A Cog version which does not is #3663.

Should I not use any Squeak image version below a certain cutoff when using new Cog VMs?  Is that documented anywhere?

(Q: "Why would you want to use older images anyway?"  A: "They were laying around from older projects" or A: "I take them from inside older 'All-in-one' packages so I can quickly have a functioning Seaside/WAKom-or-WebClient setup")

Thanks!
Tim